Friday, December 19, 2008

Michael -Friday 19 December

"Captains Log 19/12/08"


Its another Friday and so it means its time for another post. This week I spent most of my time with pencils and paper as I was tasked with a number of concepts to draw out. This week I managed to do initial concepts of the four types of enemies. These enemies are the Mother, Exploder, Grunt, and the Reaper. Since I was designing the look of the enemies, I also spent time with one of the programmers working out the AI behaviour of the different types of enemies. As well as designing the Enemies I also designed the weapons for the Humans and the Aliens and I also did diagrams for how the player interacts with the environment.

So these are the intial concepts for the aliens above. To design these creatures I was asked to create ocotopus styled aliens and was then free to let my imaginaion go crazy. From left to right the creaures are...
-The Grunt- This is the standard type of enemy. They use one of three weapons which are fused directly onto their bodies. For the design I was trying to design an alien that was brutish in appearance and although its an octopus alien it still resembles a human. I also had to be careful as far as tentacles are concerned since too many tentacles might give our brilliant animators a couple headaches later on.
-The Mother- This alien lays eggs which then turn into Grunts and occasionally Reapers. The idea was to create a slow moving tank like alien with a gian mortar on its back. It also has a giant gaping mouth which spews out Exploders. This is only the intial concept and I have intentions of developing this alien from being bound to the ground to a large floating fortress style alien.
-The Exploder- These aliens are designed to be slightly cuter than the other designs while still maintaing the creepy octopus alien theme. Exploders are designed to blow themselves up when near Humans as well as acting like living grenades and are able to be thrown by Grunts.
-The Reaper- This is my favourite design mainly because im a fan of getting close and personal with the enemy after sneaking up on them. The term I used to describe this ruthless alien was that it was an "Alien Octopus Ninja". It has a weapon simply named the tentacle sword arm and has the ability to go blend into the environment in order to sneak up on the player.
Since there probably isnt that much room to cram in all the concept drawings, Ill just mention some of the design considerations for the weapon designs.
-Alien Weapons- These weapons are part of the alien themselves. They are organic wepons and drew inspiration from the Tyranids from Warhammer.
-Human Weapons- Human weapons were a lot more difficult to design. The weapons needed to resemble weapons from the 1930's but at the same time needed to look somewhat futuristic. Another issue was that since the nano-bot weapons form over the arm, the weapon needed to be somewhat glove like in order to fit the arm of the character.
I also helped with the class in an attempt to work out the game more. I was glad that the class finally came to an agreement on the character types being a part of the military as it will allow the story to make much more sense. I really do believe that this game will be incredibly enoyable to play PROVIDING things go as planned, which as many people will realize, is never the case. In any case, im off to enjoy the Christmas Holidays and fingers crossed for great weather
Merry Christmas Readers!
-Michael








No comments:

Post a Comment